Skip to main content

The Shepherd and the Lamb


 Happy Wednesday! 

In Luke 2 there’s a story about some shepherds chilling in the field at night watching their herd. I think we all know this story. An angel of the Lord appeared to these terrified shepherds and announced to them that “today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.” He told them where they could find him. Heavenly hosts showed up and sang a praise to God and then when the angels left the shepherds pulled themselves together and went to go find baby Jesus. 

I was going to talk about the immediacy of the shepherds. How they up and left their herd and dropped everything to seek out Jesus right in that moment once the angels left. But a sermon from Moody I had listened to about Psalm 23 came to mind as I was thinking about this story of the shepherds. The pastor was talking about Psalm 23 through the lens of David who had written it and who had been a shepherd himself. He talked about how God is our shepherd and how sheep can not rest until they have all of their needs met and feel safe. The pastor talked about how only a very good shepherd can fulfill all the needs of their sheep and “make them lay down.” And I just wonder if there’s some symbolism behind why the angel of the Lord decided to appear to a bunch of humble shepherds. They were the first ones to get to see baby Jesus and spread the news of Him. 

This is just my thoughts but what if the angel of the Lord appeared to shepherds because Jesus will grow up and become our shepherd? He frequently called his followers His sheep and His flock. Even more than that though, Jesus isn't just our shepherd. He's also the sacrificial lamb. He died in our place, spilled his blood to wipe our sins clean the same way that those in the Old Testament killed lambs to make themselves ceremonially clean so that they could be nearer to God. Jesus is all wrapped up in symbolism that has to do with sheep and shepherds. So, maybe it's just me, but I see a lot of purpose in the Angel of the Lord appearing to the shepherds that night. They were the first ones to get to know about Jesus after He was born. God is in all the details, so I have a hard time believing that there isn't meaning behind the shepherds who cared for their sheep being the first to get to go and worship Jesus. 

As I think on this part of the Christmas story and Psalm 23, I find a lot of comfort in Jesus being our shepherd and I thank Him and praise Him for being our sacrificial lamb, for dying for us. 2020 has been a crazy and difficult year. It feels like hard stuff just keeps being thrown at us from all sides and I think we could all use some comfort and hope during this time. I certainly could. There's been some hard moments leading up to this Christmas for me and I find it amazing that I had written this blog post at the start of the month, not knowing I would need these words myself later in the month. Maybe you need to hear them too. Go and read through Psalm 23 and then the passage in Luke about the shepherds and rest in the hope and comfort that Jesus is our shepherd, “he makes us lie down in green pastures and restores our soul” and is also our sacrificial lamb who died so that we could have everlasting hope in Him. Hold onto that during the rest of this Christmas week. Keep it close to your heart throughout tomorrow, Friday and the weekend. 

Comments

  1. I need a nice green pasture next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all could use a nice green pasture next year haha <3

      Delete
  2. I had never considered that before, the significance of those shepherds being the first to see the Good Shepherd as a baby. Like you said, God is in the details, and I think there has to be some meaning there. Sheep can't rest until their fed and safe, but through Jesus, we have to remember that we are ALWAYS safe, no matter what 2020 (or 2021) throws at us.

    I hope you had a wonderful, hygge Christmas!!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree! As long as we have Jesus as our shepherd, we'll be more than alright. <3

      Thanks! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas too! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Revise like a Pantser ft. Big Hero 6 Gifs

Happy Wednesday everyone! I hope you've had a great week so far and that you have a great Easter weekend ahead! We plan on going to my grandparent's on Friday to celebrate Easter with family and spending the night there so that'll be a fun time. :) Alright, so I contemplated doing an Easter-y post on here but I wasn't even sure what that would look like... So instead, I thought I'd do something fun and happy in honor of the celebration of Easter on Sunday. Without further ado, here is your Big Hero 6 gif filled revising process from a real life pantser: The end of your first draft is in sight! You type like crazy, stay up past your normal bedtime until it is finished. When you type The End, the satisfaction that you actually did this thing sets in. Guys, it is the sweetest feeling ever. Knowing you worked so hard to complete this draft and came out on the other side. Unscathed? Perhaps not. But triumphant? Definitely! That first draft is a total disast

How to Write a Negative Character Arc

Anyone else love reading a train wreck? I find negative character arcs refreshing and fun to read and watch because not a lot of people do them. Like I'm a sucker for a redemption arc. I love characters that start out horrible and bad and "irredeemable" and then slowly redeem themselves and become the good guy. But from time to time I just love watching a good character go bad. Call me evil but I hope I'm not the only one who enjoys this. I've actually wanted to write this post for a while after rewatching Merlin last year and then over the past month me and a friend were rewatching Star Wars and I've always enjoyed the prequels because of Anakin's downward spiral. Also the last season of The 100, you watch as Octavia completes her journey to becoming one of the meanest, worst antagonists in the show. And that's saying something. The other day I really thought about what other characters who have negative arcs there are but I honestly couldn't th

Friday in Review: May Monthly Wrap-Up

Happy Wednesday once more everyone! I hope you've all had a great May. May has been full of lots of life stuff and writerly stuff and reading. I am so excited to share it with you all (along with an awesome new thing I'm doing for next month on here)! May Writing: May was full of lots of writing... Like lots. I finished draft four of The Lost Ones, came up with the name The Lost Ones and finished editing draft five. Now comes the hard work of plugging in all those changes and edits into my Word doc. Oh the joys of writing... ;) But for real, I am so excited that I finished the read through for TLO and I am even more excited to finish this draft so I can get it ready for betas. This month I also planned out the series... I've never planned out a series ever. I'm a pantser so what do I do? I make life hard for myself by winging not only my novels but entire series too. That whole not planning thing? It didn't work for me and since I'm wanting to take myself m