Skip to main content

November Monthly Wrap Up

I'm about five days late for this post but better late than ever. November is officially over! And I'm kind of sad... and freaking out a little that we have one more month until 2020. I don't know what to do with that information.

November was a month for me. I feel like it was just one thing after another. My anxiety and depression were acting up big time at the beginning (and the middle), there were a few very emotional moments and now that November is almost over I feel like it's finally settling down. I'm getting rid of the format I usually use for monthly wrap ups for this post because... I don't feel like using it. I'd rather just make a nice long list of everything that happened in November. There were some good things that came out of this month though. Here are a few of them:

I started St. Croix Falls 3 and got to 50,000 words in it! I won Nanowrimo when I didn't think I could. This month was a much needed break from all other writing obligations. I worked on something that won't be published for a few months at least.

I wrote a fun paper about Windigos and how to compare them to modern society. I wrote it for my Native American religions class and I am honestly really proud of it. Especially the first paragraph. I've always been fascinated by the Windigo, so I loved getting to write about the monster and compare it to society and all that fun stuff. I felt very smart and stuff write writing it haha

Also to do with my classes, I had a major break through for my final paper and actually am excited to write it. This one is also for my religions class. This class has had so. Much. Writing in it. Which I've enjoyed but also... it's a lot of work and a lot of thinking and a lot of writing. I'm honestly really excited about this one. I'm going to be writing about how to become indigenous and why I don't believe Christians should or can become truly indigenous to the land. It's a fun topic and I get to bring my faith and God into it which I've never gotten to do for any of my other papers before so it'll be interesting to write.

I read actual books this month! I have been in such a reading slump and I feel like I've finally snapped out of it.

I finished The Beautiful by Renee Adieh which is now one of my favorite books. It was fantastic and I just loved the whole vibe of the book. The characters were enchanting and amazing.

Umm also? Legacy came out this month!! So many answers to so many huge questions! Thank you Shannon Messenger so much for finally giving me the answers I need. Or at least enough to get me through the next year. But also... a not so thank you for that awful cliffhanger. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Then, of course, there's The Queen of Nothing. Gosh... that book was just fantastic. I loved everything about it. I read the book in an evening and a day. I haven't devoured a book that quickly in amazing. Holly Black really is the Faerie queen and a genius and just a beautiful, amazing writer. I went in with totally different expectations and it blew my mind the way the story ended. It did not go the way I thought it would at all!! Thank you for an incredible end to a magical trilogy. Please, please, write another book in the world of The Cruel Prince.

And now, I am finishing An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson. I've been drowning in the Fae this month I guess between The Beautiful, The Queen of Nothing and even Legacy has elves in it. It seems fitting to finish off my month of Fae with An Enchantment of Ravens. Truly this book is so original and Rook is absolutely perfect. I'm a sucker for a good autumn prince.

I saw Frozen II on Thanksgiving. I have a feeling this is going to be a very unpopular opinion but... I didn't enjoy it. I went to see it in theaters with my two little brothers, my aunt, a teenage cousin and a younger cousin. None of the little kids liked the movie... they thought it was boring. One of my brothers was whispering with my cousin almost the whole time and my other little brother was fidgeting and restless the whole time. None of the other kids in the theater were sitting very well through it. Personally... I really love the song Into the Unknown. I think its really beautiful and I can relate to it a lot. The animation was gorgeous... but the story felt a little all over the place to me. It felt like they couldn't decide on what plot line to follow through with so they just sort of mashed it all together. The songs felt forced and a few of the scenes felt choppy and sudden to me. I really loved Kristoff's song while listening to it the day before I saw the movie. I thought it was really sweet and stuff but then watching the movie... it felt like they used his sweet and sincere song about his feelings for Anna as comedic relief. Like they didn't take it seriously and that really frustrated me because they would never use Anna or Elsa's songs about their feelings as comedic relief, but let's make Kristoff's song super cringe-y and dramatic because he's a guy and guys don't need songs that are sincere and beautiful. I don't know, I went in with high expectations and a lot of excitement and it just sort of fell flat for me. But anyway! This post is not about Frozen 2... but I just thought I'd throw out my two cents about it. To all who enjoyed the movie I'm really happy you did, I can understand and see why a lot of people, especially teens and adults could relate and enjoy the movie... it just didn't do anything for me. 

So, yeah, that was my November more or less. Those were the good things that happened amongst the stress and anxiety and just overall not feeling good a lot of the time. Really, I got through this month, especially the beginning of it through God. He got me through the hardest times. I don't know what I would do without Him and I am just so thankful to Him for giving me the peace and good health, mentally, emotionally and physically, to be able to enjoy my Thanksgiving and finish the month out strong.


How was your November and how was your Thanksgiving? 

Comments

  1. LEGACY. SUCH A GOOD BOOK. I'm so happy you enjoyed it too - although WHERE'S BOOK NINE. XD

    Hope you have an awesome December, Melody!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss! I loved Legacy so much! I know!! I can't wait for book nine!

      Delete
  2. I've been in a reading slump as well.
    Have a great December!

    astordetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love An Enchantment of Ravens!
    Hope December is better for you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE ENCHANTMENT OF RAVENS SO MUCH!!! I'm glad someone else has enjoyed it; I haven't found too many people talking about it and it deserves ALL THE PUBLICITY.

    Sidenote, I really appreciate how open you are about your depression and anxiety. I've never been diagnosed with anything, but I've started to recognize certain symptoms in my mental health that definitely allude towards an anxiety disorder (or something along those lines) and it really can make everything in normal life hard, especially when you're trying to do school and write and spend time with your family and everything else that life requires of you. So, yeah, I just wanted to say that I appreciate you talking about it and about how God helps you through it. It's helpful to me to see that I'm not alone in struggling with those mental and emotional battles, while still trying to turn to God at the same time. :)


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow really?? I'm surprised there hasn't been more love for that book. It's so good!

      Aww thank you so much! I'm so glad it was helpful and encouraging to you. That makes me so happy. It's not easy to be open and honest about it... I was pretty quiet on that front for a long time, but I realized it's important to share about my struggles with it so that others know they're not alone. Anxiety and depression are extremely lonely disorders, people always feel like they're the only ones feeling what they're feeling (including myself) and I just think it's so important for everyone to know they aren't the only ones feeling those things. And even more important to know that God knows what you're feeling and you aren't going through those things alone. He's got you and He's there for you when you need Him no matter what. Isaiah 41:10: "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
      Sorry this took so long to get back to you! I completely spaced and left this post unattended for too long. :(

      Delete
    2. Amen! I often struggle with knowing how to share about my mental and emotional struggles in my own posts, but I really appreciate when other people post about it, cuz then I feel like I have an opening to comment and talk about it.

      I love that verse! Sometimes, I just leave it up on my computer, so that I can refer to it constantly while I'm working or doing homework! Such a perfect reminder. <3

      You're totally fine. :) Keeping up with blog replies is hard.


      Alexa
      thessalexa.blogspot.com
      verbosityreviews.com

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Revise like a Pantser ft. Big Hero 6 Gifs

Happy Wednesday everyone! I hope you've had a great week so far and that you have a great Easter weekend ahead! We plan on going to my grandparent's on Friday to celebrate Easter with family and spending the night there so that'll be a fun time. :) Alright, so I contemplated doing an Easter-y post on here but I wasn't even sure what that would look like... So instead, I thought I'd do something fun and happy in honor of the celebration of Easter on Sunday. Without further ado, here is your Big Hero 6 gif filled revising process from a real life pantser: The end of your first draft is in sight! You type like crazy, stay up past your normal bedtime until it is finished. When you type The End, the satisfaction that you actually did this thing sets in. Guys, it is the sweetest feeling ever. Knowing you worked so hard to complete this draft and came out on the other side. Unscathed? Perhaps not. But triumphant? Definitely! That first draft is a total disast

How to Write a Negative Character Arc

Anyone else love reading a train wreck? I find negative character arcs refreshing and fun to read and watch because not a lot of people do them. Like I'm a sucker for a redemption arc. I love characters that start out horrible and bad and "irredeemable" and then slowly redeem themselves and become the good guy. But from time to time I just love watching a good character go bad. Call me evil but I hope I'm not the only one who enjoys this. I've actually wanted to write this post for a while after rewatching Merlin last year and then over the past month me and a friend were rewatching Star Wars and I've always enjoyed the prequels because of Anakin's downward spiral. Also the last season of The 100, you watch as Octavia completes her journey to becoming one of the meanest, worst antagonists in the show. And that's saying something. The other day I really thought about what other characters who have negative arcs there are but I honestly couldn't th

Friday in Review: May Monthly Wrap-Up

Happy Wednesday once more everyone! I hope you've all had a great May. May has been full of lots of life stuff and writerly stuff and reading. I am so excited to share it with you all (along with an awesome new thing I'm doing for next month on here)! May Writing: May was full of lots of writing... Like lots. I finished draft four of The Lost Ones, came up with the name The Lost Ones and finished editing draft five. Now comes the hard work of plugging in all those changes and edits into my Word doc. Oh the joys of writing... ;) But for real, I am so excited that I finished the read through for TLO and I am even more excited to finish this draft so I can get it ready for betas. This month I also planned out the series... I've never planned out a series ever. I'm a pantser so what do I do? I make life hard for myself by winging not only my novels but entire series too. That whole not planning thing? It didn't work for me and since I'm wanting to take myself m