Skip to main content

Happy New Years!!

Happy New Years everyone! 2019 is officially here! Some parts of last year felt like they went by so slowly while other parts feel like they were a blur. But overall, 2018 was a good year and I have a feeling 2019 will be a good year too. 2019 is a new season of life for me and others and I'm so excited to see what God has planned for myself, friends and family.

I know I've already posted my goals for 2019 but there are a few more I want to add. Since writing the Looking Forward to 2019 post, I had a few epiphanies that I think are important.

First of all, one of the authors I follow on Instagram wrote a post today about the difference between dreams and goals. Goals are achievable. They can be accomplished. Dreams can be too, but sometimes certain dreams are out of our control and when we fail to accomplish that dream, we fail. She said how she really wanted to sell a book in 2019. To pitch a book to her agent and get it out there. But that's not a goal. That's a dream because what the publishing industry decides to do with her book is out of her control. However, she can make a goal to work on that book. To revise it and write it and make it the best it can be. That's a goal that can be accomplished and that she won't fail at. I'm glad I read that post because it gave me a different perspective on my goals for 2019. I need to separate my dreams from my goals. My dream for this year is to get an agent or contract and have my book traditionally published. That isn't a goal because if I don't succeed it isn't necessarily my fault. But a few goals I can accomplish to make my dream more likely to succeed is to make my book the best it can be. To write it, revise it, edit it to the best of my abilities. To research agents and publishers so I'm educated and not going into this blind. To write the best query letter I can and to make my book worth publishing. Those are goals I can accomplish, goals that work toward my dream. I guess it's all about perspective and perspective can actually be very important.

Second of all, Sunday's sermon really made me think. The pastor's main idea was God is better than me and He desires my response more than my religion. He went into how God is so much greater than us and we need to humble ourselves before Him, knowing that He is greatest and He has control. God doesn't want us going through the motions. He doesn't desire for us to go to church, to worship, to fellowship, to read our Bibles just to check them off a list. God desires us to do those things out of response to our love for Him, the teachings in the Word and the guidance of the Spirit. I think everyone can always use some work on both of those things, especially the humbleness and I'm no exception. This year I want to be intentional in the way I respond to God's Word and I want to spend time listening for Him and the guidance of the Spirit. I feel like all this year I've been kind of numb... I've kind of been going through the motions. I haven't felt close to God or connected to him. I haven't felt the stirring of the Spirit and I've just been going to church, reading the Bible, praying because that's just what I'm supposed to do. But in the past few weeks, something really clicked and I'm starting to feel more connected to God, more in tune with Him and I think that's because I've been praying more, making Him more of a part of my every day life. I've also been reading through Luke. Really reading through Luke and not just skimming over the words blindly. Not to mention I have an awesome best friend and parents who give me a lot of Godly wisdom and insight. My spiritual goals for this year is to be humble, to learn how to wait patiently with the Lord and to be intentional with my reading and prayer time.

Anyways, here's to a great 2019! I hope you all have a great New Year's Day and a safe, fun, healthy year to come. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Revise like a Pantser ft. Big Hero 6 Gifs

Happy Wednesday everyone! I hope you've had a great week so far and that you have a great Easter weekend ahead! We plan on going to my grandparent's on Friday to celebrate Easter with family and spending the night there so that'll be a fun time. :) Alright, so I contemplated doing an Easter-y post on here but I wasn't even sure what that would look like... So instead, I thought I'd do something fun and happy in honor of the celebration of Easter on Sunday. Without further ado, here is your Big Hero 6 gif filled revising process from a real life pantser: The end of your first draft is in sight! You type like crazy, stay up past your normal bedtime until it is finished. When you type The End, the satisfaction that you actually did this thing sets in. Guys, it is the sweetest feeling ever. Knowing you worked so hard to complete this draft and came out on the other side. Unscathed? Perhaps not. But triumphant? Definitely! That first draft is a total disast

How to Write a Negative Character Arc

Anyone else love reading a train wreck? I find negative character arcs refreshing and fun to read and watch because not a lot of people do them. Like I'm a sucker for a redemption arc. I love characters that start out horrible and bad and "irredeemable" and then slowly redeem themselves and become the good guy. But from time to time I just love watching a good character go bad. Call me evil but I hope I'm not the only one who enjoys this. I've actually wanted to write this post for a while after rewatching Merlin last year and then over the past month me and a friend were rewatching Star Wars and I've always enjoyed the prequels because of Anakin's downward spiral. Also the last season of The 100, you watch as Octavia completes her journey to becoming one of the meanest, worst antagonists in the show. And that's saying something. The other day I really thought about what other characters who have negative arcs there are but I honestly couldn't th

Best Resources for Writers

Happy Wednesday once more everyone! So recently I've been doing a lot of craft-learning and have discovered some pretty awesome resources that have been so helpful to me. I'm also contemplating trying my hand at a How To guide for writers. I've already written a How to Write a Serial book and it just needs to be touched up. I think I might make it one of my freebies for my newsletter. So then not only do you get a short story but also a how to guide cuz I realized a lot of the newsletters I sign up for come with how to guides or writerly resources. But anyways, here are some of my favorite books/podcasts/blogs that have been so, so helpful to me over the past few months: Craft Books: Go Teen Writers: Edit Your Novel by Stephanie Morril and Jill Williamson: This one has a little bit of everything in it and is perfect for beginners. If you've just started plotting your novel, are in the middle of writing it or have begun the editing process this is a must have!