Skip to main content

Why 4's Are the Chosen Ones

Ok, so we're not the Chosen Ones, but I'm pretty sure a lot of us wish we were. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, the 4 is a number from the Enneagram. We're the Romantics, the Individualists. In other words, we think we're pretty special. And what's more special than the Chosen One?

I've always loved the Chosen One trope. I know a lot of people, readers and writers alike, think that it's run out, a cliche, over used, but I can never get enough of the Chosen One trope. That special someone who has special powers and a special destiny.

 Think Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Sophie Foster, even the Sisters Grimm. They usually have something that makes them standout from the crowd, and even a supernatural destiny. For Harry Potter he was the boy destined to kill Voldemort, Percy Jackson (in the first and second book anyways) was the only known child of the Big Three (Poseidon, Zeus and Hades) and throughout the entire series and second series, he was the only child of Poseidon and super powerful. He was the main figure in several prophecies and was destined to come up against Kronos. Sophie Foster is an elf who had lived among humans. She's especially special because she has multiple powers, was created for a specific reason. In the latest Middle Grade book I read, The Lost Frost Girl, the main character, Owl, is the one and only daughter of Jack Frost. She has special powers and is only the second other half human, half fay child.

So yeah, the Chosen One pops up a lot, mostly in Middle Grade books and maybe's that's why I love Middle Grade books so much. The YA authors may have shied away from that trope, but the MG authors are still going strong. Since I've always been so drawn to the Chosen One, I've always wondered why. Why do I like these stories so much more than all the others? Usually, if the main character is sort of "boring" or normal and isn't special in some way I give up on the book or don't even read it at all. The only books that are the exception are Holly Black's books. She manages to craft normal, every day humans with no special powers that I always enjoy reading about. Probably because her message that humans, even if we aren't as strong or fast or powerful as supernatural creatures in her books, can still be strong and can still win and be the hero. They're kind of like books about the underdog winning against impossible odds. But it just came to me as I finished reading The Lost Frost Girl. Fours are the individualists. We love to be unique and different and special. Stand out from the crowd. And that is all the things that a Chosen One is.

Even as a writer, I've always gravitated toward the Chosen One. Every single book I've ever written, the character has been different or special in some way. Either has physical differences or special powers unique only to them or just something that makes them stand out. Because not only does that make them special, it can isolate them. As Fours... we're also sort of moody and I would say, some of us are pretty brooding too.
The perfect example of brooding 

We want deep connections and sort of do want to fit in? But we also want to stand out and be different, and that makes us isolated. Even if it we aren't isolated, I think we sort of over-dramatize our uniqueness and become brooding like oh no one could ever understand me! I'm just too different even though I really do like to be too different deep down. It's weird... but does that not make some of the best MC's? Just because they're all different or special, doesn't mean I write 4 characters all the time. Take Delphi for example. She's the MC of Weapon Icean and Project Hellion. She's different from the others because she has the rare ability of cryokinesis. Her hands and legs are made of ice and her hair is shimmery blue-purple. She stands out from the others. But she's also an 8 (sort of the equivalent of a Slytherin is how I imagine it). She's ambitious, impulsive and demanding. She's a natural leader, which also makes it hard for her to follow orders or work well with others. Then there's Renee. Again, she's special. She has a unique ability as well, only this comes from the alien/scifi side of the story. But she's definitely not an 8. Renee is defiant and she questions everything and is always suspicious of everyone and everything. But she also spends a fair amount of time attempting to not have a giant freak out over all the craziness that happens in her life. My third big and most favorite MC I've created is Tabitha Sterling, teen vampire hunter. She's different too. She has more enhanced skills and senses, sort of like Buffy, only not with all the crazy destiny, vampire slayer stuff. But Tabitha is also a classic 4. She wears neon boots and has tons of neon clothes so that she stands out in any crowd. She's also a total romantic and yet withdrawn and sort of moody too. A total 4.

Also, this is one of the problems I'm having right now with books, is that if a book doesn't have a good love interest or a romantic subplot, I most likely won't read it or won't finish it. I don't know if I can really relate this to being a 4, though we are called the Romantics. But lately, all these YA books are boring me! The only YA book so far, that I've absolutely loved is The Cruel Prince because Holly Black knows how to write a book without having an actual romantic subplot. Most other writers do not. This is probably a subject for another post, but it's seriously been getting to me. I guess I'm just a sucker for the cliches. I love the Romeo and Juliet plot. I love the star crossed lovers plot. Honestly, I love most all of the cliche love subplots. What happened to them? Now the YA market is dominated by strong, independent female protagonists who don't have a love story or romantic subplot at all!! It's all about them and how they have to save the world or the galaxy or whatever. It's exhausting to read. Or, if there is a love interest, he's not taken seriously. He's just sort of there for a kiss once in a while or a declaration of totally fake, not well written love. I'm really sick of it and I'm sick of female protagonists who think they're all that and of books who through away the romantic subplot or romance in general. Between a guy and a girl! I don't want any girl/girl romance. Anyways, that's just me.

So, yeah, if you read any of my stuff, just be prepared that my MC will probably be special or different in some way, whether it be in a big, world changing way or a small, important way and they will almost always have a romantic subplot. Always have a love interest.

I guess there really isn't a huge point to this post, besides the fact that I wanted to share something that I found interesting. Just an interesting observation about myself that has to do with books I read and the books I write. As a writer we should always be growing and changing and learning more about ourselves, especially through our writing. Over the years, I've learned a lot about the art of writing and I've learned a lot about myself through my writing and this is one of those times. No matter what genre I'm in, no matter what kind of personality my MC has, there will always be something special about them, because that's what I love and is an important part of who I am. Being different. Look through, your writing. Do a mental list of all your MC's and see if you have any specific patterns or themes. Maybe one day I'll try and leave my comfort zone and break out of the special one/Chosen One but for now, I'm pretty good with where I'm at with my writing right now. I would also be interested to know if there are any other 4's out there who prefer Chosen One books like I do?

So yeah, those are two cents on the Chosen One plot and the romantic subplot. I will probably end up writing a blog post on how annoyed I am at the YA genre right now, probably for next week. Anyways! I hope you've enjoyed listening to me ramble about the 4 and how special we are ;). I'll see you Friday! Which is my birthday. I turn twenty and I'm so excited!

But what are your thoughts? What do you think of the Chosen One trope? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Revise like a Pantser ft. Big Hero 6 Gifs

Happy Wednesday everyone! I hope you've had a great week so far and that you have a great Easter weekend ahead! We plan on going to my grandparent's on Friday to celebrate Easter with family and spending the night there so that'll be a fun time. :) Alright, so I contemplated doing an Easter-y post on here but I wasn't even sure what that would look like... So instead, I thought I'd do something fun and happy in honor of the celebration of Easter on Sunday. Without further ado, here is your Big Hero 6 gif filled revising process from a real life pantser: The end of your first draft is in sight! You type like crazy, stay up past your normal bedtime until it is finished. When you type The End, the satisfaction that you actually did this thing sets in. Guys, it is the sweetest feeling ever. Knowing you worked so hard to complete this draft and came out on the other side. Unscathed? Perhaps not. But triumphant? Definitely! That first draft is a total disast

How to Write a Negative Character Arc

Anyone else love reading a train wreck? I find negative character arcs refreshing and fun to read and watch because not a lot of people do them. Like I'm a sucker for a redemption arc. I love characters that start out horrible and bad and "irredeemable" and then slowly redeem themselves and become the good guy. But from time to time I just love watching a good character go bad. Call me evil but I hope I'm not the only one who enjoys this. I've actually wanted to write this post for a while after rewatching Merlin last year and then over the past month me and a friend were rewatching Star Wars and I've always enjoyed the prequels because of Anakin's downward spiral. Also the last season of The 100, you watch as Octavia completes her journey to becoming one of the meanest, worst antagonists in the show. And that's saying something. The other day I really thought about what other characters who have negative arcs there are but I honestly couldn't th

Friday in Review: May Monthly Wrap-Up

Happy Wednesday once more everyone! I hope you've all had a great May. May has been full of lots of life stuff and writerly stuff and reading. I am so excited to share it with you all (along with an awesome new thing I'm doing for next month on here)! May Writing: May was full of lots of writing... Like lots. I finished draft four of The Lost Ones, came up with the name The Lost Ones and finished editing draft five. Now comes the hard work of plugging in all those changes and edits into my Word doc. Oh the joys of writing... ;) But for real, I am so excited that I finished the read through for TLO and I am even more excited to finish this draft so I can get it ready for betas. This month I also planned out the series... I've never planned out a series ever. I'm a pantser so what do I do? I make life hard for myself by winging not only my novels but entire series too. That whole not planning thing? It didn't work for me and since I'm wanting to take myself m