Skip to main content

Friday in Review: In My Journal

So this Friday in Review I'm trying something a little different. When I first started this blog I posted Bible verses at least three or four times a week on here and it was great but somewhere along the way I stopped doing that and got caught up in the writing and reader aspect of blogging. Which is great and I won't stop doing but I also want to make room on here for God and verses and my faith. So that's what I'm doing today.

For my birthday I think it was, my mom got me this Promise Journal. It's gorgeous inside and out and I just finished my last Bible journal so now I've started on this one. On every other page (ever left page to be exact) there are verses and quotes on different aspects of a relationship with God and then on the right is lined pages that you can write on. I love reading through the quotes and verses and find them beautiful and encouraging and uplifting so I wanted to share one of the pages on here. This one at the top says The Best Times.

When you open up the Bible and you pray the Scriptures back to God, you're experiencing something really wonderful... He's delighted. The silence confirms that we are His people. We are talking and God is listening. But the best times are when God starts talking, and we're quiet enough to hear Him.

- Calvin Miller (I think this is really beautiful because it shows how great of a listener God is. More times than not I just need an ear to listen and He's always there. And when I need an answer or advice or guidance He talks or answers at just the right time when I need it the most).

That is God's call to us--simply to be people who are content to live close to Him and to renew the kind of life in which the closeness is felt and experienced.

-Thomas Merton (This is a reminder that nothing else should really matter. We should be content with a life spent in the closeness of Him. A kind of closeness that everyone should strive for, one that is felt and experienced and a two way street, not just a one way road).

I have set the Lord always before me...
Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure...
You have made known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

-Psalm 16:8-9 (I love the second to last verse. You will fill me with joy in your presence. When you have a hard time feeling or finding joy go to Him and He will fill you with His joy when you can't find any.)
 
The kiss of eternal life, and the warm embrace of God's Word, are so sweet, and bring such pleasure, that you can never become bored with them; you always want more.
 
-Hildegard of Bingen (This is very true. Once you start reading (for me anyways) the Word, you realize how hungry you are and don't want to stop, especially after a long time of not getting into the Bible, you become ravenous. Or you can read a verse over and over again across a week or a month and every, single, day God can use that verse to tell you different things in so many different ways. You can never grow bored with God's Word).
 
Those are all the sayings and the verse on the Best Times page in my journal and I hope you found them as beautiful and encouraging as I did. I don't know if I'm going to blog on here so that I can not only write about writing and geeky stuff that I love but also about my faith and God that I love so much more. But I hope you enjoyed this post and I hope that these encourage you through the weekend and into the next week.
 
 
Have a great weekend everyone! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Revise like a Pantser ft. Big Hero 6 Gifs

Happy Wednesday everyone! I hope you've had a great week so far and that you have a great Easter weekend ahead! We plan on going to my grandparent's on Friday to celebrate Easter with family and spending the night there so that'll be a fun time. :) Alright, so I contemplated doing an Easter-y post on here but I wasn't even sure what that would look like... So instead, I thought I'd do something fun and happy in honor of the celebration of Easter on Sunday. Without further ado, here is your Big Hero 6 gif filled revising process from a real life pantser: The end of your first draft is in sight! You type like crazy, stay up past your normal bedtime until it is finished. When you type The End, the satisfaction that you actually did this thing sets in. Guys, it is the sweetest feeling ever. Knowing you worked so hard to complete this draft and came out on the other side. Unscathed? Perhaps not. But triumphant? Definitely! That first draft is a total disast

How to Write a Negative Character Arc

Anyone else love reading a train wreck? I find negative character arcs refreshing and fun to read and watch because not a lot of people do them. Like I'm a sucker for a redemption arc. I love characters that start out horrible and bad and "irredeemable" and then slowly redeem themselves and become the good guy. But from time to time I just love watching a good character go bad. Call me evil but I hope I'm not the only one who enjoys this. I've actually wanted to write this post for a while after rewatching Merlin last year and then over the past month me and a friend were rewatching Star Wars and I've always enjoyed the prequels because of Anakin's downward spiral. Also the last season of The 100, you watch as Octavia completes her journey to becoming one of the meanest, worst antagonists in the show. And that's saying something. The other day I really thought about what other characters who have negative arcs there are but I honestly couldn't th

Friday in Review: May Monthly Wrap-Up

Happy Wednesday once more everyone! I hope you've all had a great May. May has been full of lots of life stuff and writerly stuff and reading. I am so excited to share it with you all (along with an awesome new thing I'm doing for next month on here)! May Writing: May was full of lots of writing... Like lots. I finished draft four of The Lost Ones, came up with the name The Lost Ones and finished editing draft five. Now comes the hard work of plugging in all those changes and edits into my Word doc. Oh the joys of writing... ;) But for real, I am so excited that I finished the read through for TLO and I am even more excited to finish this draft so I can get it ready for betas. This month I also planned out the series... I've never planned out a series ever. I'm a pantser so what do I do? I make life hard for myself by winging not only my novels but entire series too. That whole not planning thing? It didn't work for me and since I'm wanting to take myself m