Skip to main content

May Writing Update!

So, I haven't ever done a writing update post but I think I should today just because I love talking about my books and my writing and because I have some pretty awesome stuff going on.
Also I read Mariella Hunt's post (Indie author of Dissonance) on her blog about The Autumn Prince. You can find it Here.

So last Fall she posted a chapter a week of her novella The Autumn Prince. I read most of it but I was pretty busy and couldn't keep up but from what I read it was great and imaginative and so fun. Anyways Mariella has some things going on for her and her writing right now. Since The Autumn Prince did so well on her blog she plans to expand it and make it a novel. She also plans on shortening it and making it into a short story for this anthology she's part of called Crows on Heartstrings. Plus she's also working on the sequel to her novel Dissonance.

None of that has much to do with me but I loved getting the update and even though I don't know her I'm still super excited for her because all of those things are huge for a writer! Her post inspired me and pushed me onward in my writing and I realized that I could be just as productive as her if I put my mind to it. So that's exactly what I did.

During May, hopefully within the next week I'll be sending Weapon Icean off to a editor. I have poured so much into Weapon Icean and the characters and I still stress about it all the time. Even though I've gone through what feels like a hundred drafts I still think I can do better even though I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out. I'm hoping the editor will be able to not only help with my atrocious grammar but also give me some good feedback on if it truly is horrible or not. My inner critic just can not shut up about how awful Weapon Icean is and how I could do so much better even though that other part of me is extremely satisfied with how the final draft turned out.

I have the plot for the next book all written out in a journal and scrawled out on the back of my mind. The sequel is always there, lingering and waiting for the right moment for me to write it all down on paper but I just feel like I need to be sure that Weapon Icean is good and that there aren't any plot holes or anything before I start the next book.

And if all that wasn't enough I've also become addicted to writing short stories. For the longest time I could not figure out how people wrote those things! They seemed impossible to me but then something just clicked a month or so ago. I had these three characters that one not leave me alone. I got half way through a full novel with them before realizing that it just wasn't clicking. They weren't in harmony or making any sense. One of them in particular, Remiel, caught my attention and after I decided to put that draft away for awhile he wouldn't leave me alone so I just started writing in my journal and it quickly turned into the beginnings of his backstory.

I wrote and wrote and wrote and then typed it all out on my computer and loved Remiel's dark and morbid and bitter origin story. It was so fun to write because I'd never written anything quite like Remiel's story. His story became The Lonely Child. Then I got into my head that I should write the other two character's stories, Larkin and the protagonist of the novel draft Demetria. So I wrote their stories too and I learned more about the characters and the world and fell in love with all of them.

At first I had the idea that I would self-publish them individually but then I did some research and found that short story collections and anthologies are still things that young adults read plus I was heavily inspired by Marissa Meyer's collection, Stars Above. So, I put all their stories together into one document and it looked good. Now I'm working on a fourth short story to tie Remiel into Demetria's life. That'll be the final short in the little collection I made and I hope that once I get the grammar and everything settled I can have my mom (a photoshop genius) make me a cover for it so I can share this little project with all of you!

And I also wrote a novelette about the son of the Queen of Hearts and the daughter of Cinderella. It was originally just about Rowan Red and it was supposed to be a short story, under 7,500 words but it sort of expanded and Rowan took on a life of his own and then Ellie (Cinderella's daughter) just sort of popped up out of nowhere and became a 14,189 novelette. I'm thinking that once I get it all polished and fixed up that I'll try what Mariella Hunt did and put Rowan and Ellie's story on my blog one chapter at a time.

So yeah. That's everything that's been going on in my writing life over the past few months. I've become a lot more goal oriented and really thrown myself into my writing. There's been a lot of different sources inspiring me and keeping me on track and I hope that I can soon share my short story collection and Rowan's story with all of you. For now though it's all still in the works and is just a goal and a dream that I'm working towards.

Hope you all have a great rest of the week and a great weekend!

Do you guys have anything exciting going in your writing careers?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Revise like a Pantser ft. Big Hero 6 Gifs

Happy Wednesday everyone! I hope you've had a great week so far and that you have a great Easter weekend ahead! We plan on going to my grandparent's on Friday to celebrate Easter with family and spending the night there so that'll be a fun time. :) Alright, so I contemplated doing an Easter-y post on here but I wasn't even sure what that would look like... So instead, I thought I'd do something fun and happy in honor of the celebration of Easter on Sunday. Without further ado, here is your Big Hero 6 gif filled revising process from a real life pantser: The end of your first draft is in sight! You type like crazy, stay up past your normal bedtime until it is finished. When you type The End, the satisfaction that you actually did this thing sets in. Guys, it is the sweetest feeling ever. Knowing you worked so hard to complete this draft and came out on the other side. Unscathed? Perhaps not. But triumphant? Definitely! That first draft is a total disast

How to Write a Negative Character Arc

Anyone else love reading a train wreck? I find negative character arcs refreshing and fun to read and watch because not a lot of people do them. Like I'm a sucker for a redemption arc. I love characters that start out horrible and bad and "irredeemable" and then slowly redeem themselves and become the good guy. But from time to time I just love watching a good character go bad. Call me evil but I hope I'm not the only one who enjoys this. I've actually wanted to write this post for a while after rewatching Merlin last year and then over the past month me and a friend were rewatching Star Wars and I've always enjoyed the prequels because of Anakin's downward spiral. Also the last season of The 100, you watch as Octavia completes her journey to becoming one of the meanest, worst antagonists in the show. And that's saying something. The other day I really thought about what other characters who have negative arcs there are but I honestly couldn't th

Friday in Review: May Monthly Wrap-Up

Happy Wednesday once more everyone! I hope you've all had a great May. May has been full of lots of life stuff and writerly stuff and reading. I am so excited to share it with you all (along with an awesome new thing I'm doing for next month on here)! May Writing: May was full of lots of writing... Like lots. I finished draft four of The Lost Ones, came up with the name The Lost Ones and finished editing draft five. Now comes the hard work of plugging in all those changes and edits into my Word doc. Oh the joys of writing... ;) But for real, I am so excited that I finished the read through for TLO and I am even more excited to finish this draft so I can get it ready for betas. This month I also planned out the series... I've never planned out a series ever. I'm a pantser so what do I do? I make life hard for myself by winging not only my novels but entire series too. That whole not planning thing? It didn't work for me and since I'm wanting to take myself m